Trump Announces ‘Massive’ Japan Trade Deal

Trump Announces ‘Massive’ Japan Trade Deal
Donald Trump announced Tuesday a “massive” with Japan, marking a key breakthrough for major US trade partners as they scramble to strike agreements before the end of the month.
In an attempt to slash his country’s colossal trade deficit, the US president has vowed to hit dozens of countries with punitive “reciprocal” tariffs if they do not hammer out a pact with Washington by August 1.
The breakthrough makes Japan one of five countries to have signed an agreement — along with Britain, Vietnam, Indonesia and the Philippines — after Trump promised in April he would get “90 deals in 90 days”.
“We just completed a massive Deal with Japan, perhaps the largest Deal ever made,” he wrote on his Truth Social platform.
He said that under the deal, “Japan will invest, at my direction, $550 billion into the United States, which will receive 90% of the Profits”.
He did not provide further details on the unusual investment plan, but said it “will create Hundreds of Thousands of Jobs”.
Japanese exports to the United States were already subject to a 10 percent tariff, which would have risen to 25 per cent on August 1 without a deal.
Duties of 25 per cent on Japanese autos — an industry accounting for eight per cent of Japanese jobs — were also already in place, plus 50 per cent on steel and aluminum.
Japanese Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba said that the autos levy had now been cut to 15 percent, sending Japanese car stocks soaring, with Toyota and Mitsubishi up around 14 percent each.
“We are the first (country) in the world to reduce tariffs on automobiles and auto parts, with no limits on volume,” he told reporters.
“By protecting what needs to be protected, we continued the negotiations with an aim to reach an agreement that meets the national interest of both Japan and the United States,” Ishiba added.
“In this agreement with President Trump, I think we were able to realize such an agreement.”
We are the first (country) in the world to reduce tariffs on automobiles and auto parts, with no limits on volume,” he told reporters.
“By protecting what needs to be protected, we continued the negotiations with an aim to reach an agreement that meets the national interest of both Japan and the United States,” Ishiba added.
“In this agreement with President Trump, I think we were able to realize such an agreement.”
– Rice imports –
However, Japan’s trade envoy Ryosei Akazawa, who secured the deal on his eighth visit to Washington, said the 50 per cent tariffs on steel and aluminum would remain.
Akazawa also said that increased defence spending by Japan — something Trump has pressed for — was not part of the agreement.
Trump said Tuesday that Japan has also agreed to “open their Country to Trade, including Cars and Trucks, Rice and certain other Agricultural Products, and other things”.
Rice imports are a sensitive issue in Japan, and Ishiba’s government — which lost its upper house majority in elections on Sunday — had previously ruled out any concessions.
Japan currently imports 770,000 tonnes of rice tariff-free under its World Trade Organization commitments, and Ishiba said it would import more US grain within this.
Ishiba said Wednesday that the deal does not “sacrifice” Japan’s agricultural sector.
Tatsuo Yasunaga, the chair of Japan Foreign Trade Council, welcomed the trade deal announcement but said the business community needed to see details to assess its impact.
“I highly commend the fact that this major milestone has been achieved and dispelled the uncertainty that private companies had been concerned about,” Yasunaga said.
Naomi Omura, an 80-year-old voter, said it was “disappointing that Japan cannot act more strongly” towards the United States.
Tetsuo Momiyama, 81, said that Ishiba “is finished… It’s good timing for him to go.”
Reports claimed Wednesday that he aims to step down soon following the election debacle.
Source: By Channels Television